View Single Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 2416 / Power: 17
aakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond reputeaakumu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CAUTION in CP or China for that matter - Public Service Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
These kind of crimes happen often in Dongguan, Shenzhen and Zhuhai. Look at the no. of crime reports posted in the various China threads. Even happened to some samsters here. It's very real. Not like those half baked SPF Crime Watch stories. I myself got pickpocketed of S$900.00 in Zhuhai some months back. Big lesson learned.

When I see groups of obnoxious Singaporeans yakking away loudly in foreign airports, public places, etc. I just shake my head because it's a recipe for disaster. Obvious targets for criminals who prey on foreigners. Always ready to hunt you down. I travel alone mostly so I'm always on high alert when outdoors. Avoid conversations with strangers unless necessary.

Be careful of child pickpockets hanging along Zhuhai's LHL 步行街 . You've been warned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolheadsg View Post
Generally OK but I would not say you strictly do not follow anyone. Depends. If you have a larger group with you then your risk is reduced (not eliminated)

You may also need to bring more than 200 rmb out with you when you go KTV right?

Just be careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidas88 View Post
bro asiancrazy,
thanks for sharing ur stories and experiences ...

indeed .. china is not a very safe place to move ard especially when u r alone ... there r probably millionss of jobless chinese when factories started closing down due to the finanical crisis thus created such situation ..

one need to be extra careful and alert when in china ...
always bear in mind that when an offer is too good to be true, it's not ..
and do not buy anything from ppl on the streets ..

normally it's a teenage gal that will approach u for money to buy bread or tkt to go home ... and if u notice, there will be a couple of teenage boys standing near her ...
i was approached by such grps in ZH and CP ...
i ignore them and walk away ... keeping alert on them and the surroundings just in case they do something ...
DO NOT STOP to listen to their stories .. just walk away ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczeta76 View Post
Good points.. was at ZhuHai recently but not for cheonging. Stayed at the Yong Tong Hotel so did venture to LHL after MN, quite okie as I am not conspicious and speak with a chinese ascent.. dressed in Adidas too (hahaha) so no trouble..

Quite fun but sadly no action... prep for next time lah

Like stark said, low profile is the safe way to go...Dun brag and dun flaunt.

I totally ignored the begger aunties and went about my business..
Hi bros,
Thank you for the good advice, here I want to add my experience to the pot.
I was in SZ recently, afternoon, when to the money changer to change some money for lunch with two local friends, as put my cell phone down to take out my wallet, two guys came from the right and guy from the left asking for the exchange rate.
As fast as they came they are gone. as I was paying attention on my belonging on me, that I forgot about my cell that was on the table.
Later I realize that is gone, went back to the money change and ask, and the girl told me that the three guys took my phone.
Very good trick, make you aware of my belonging and forget about my phone.
Please beware.

My humble two cents.