Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 174 / Power: 21
MrDevil is a Helpful and Caring SamsterMrDevil is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Betong update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thailand king
Bro,
Why not go to betong from Ipoh if possible. Its much easier compare that u go from hatyai with those long winding road. There is coach sevice from Ipoh to betong daily from 8.30am if not mistaken and reach there by noon. Coming back from betong also same bus starting 4pm. Just go to the bus station in medan kidd in ipoh. The station is just next to shell station. (ask around if u not sure) and the bus fare cost around rm 12-rm13 per trip. Cheap cheap.
The bus is not express bus and the total journey will take at least 4 hours thru a long and boring journey. If I remember correctly, you have to change bus in Grik to reach Pengkalan Hulu. There is another bus service call Betong Express, which operate from Spore and stop by KL. If I am not wrong, this bus service operate from Golden Mile.

The best route from Spore would be flying from JB>Ipoh via AirAsia when they started to fly every alt day. Then take taxi from Ipoh's Medan Kidd to Pengkalan Hulu (Msia border) which cost about RM150 for a cab, if you are 4 in a group and share the cost, it is lesser than RM40 each. These taxi usually gather around Medan Kidd around midnight, good time to leave at 3.00 am and reach around 6.00am to wait for the border opening. Border operate from 6am till 7pm Msia time now, extended slightly previously.

If drive from Ipoh, you could reach within 2.5 hours, the road is much better now. We did reached in 1hr 45 mins averaging 140 ~ 160km/h. 2 routes to drive - one is thru exit from Kuala Kangsar exit towards Grik and then to Pengkalan Hulu, you can go wrong here, there is only 1 route. Another is thru exit at Kulim (after Penang exit) and all the way straight towards Pengkalan Hulu. I find the Penang route faster as it is highway all the way but it's further in distance.

If you drive in foreign car to Hatyai, you have to exit from the same point, otherwise get ready to pay fine.